A carnivalesque playground, a spectacular vision not easily forgotten!


This blog is a curtain left open for peeping toms...
Is it your guilty pleasure to poke your nose into the backstage world of Monster Burlesque?

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Some of our heroes:

The interesting thing for me about theater is that epic battle that is pitched and won before the show even gets to the stage...and for the audience, they may never even know what miracles were wrought to bring the show to life.
I hope that this blog gives you, our happy peeping toms, a little insight into where, and how, an event like Monster Burlesque is born.
I thought I would introduce our first characters, in this behind-the-scenes drama: our production team. You might hear from these guys along the way... you know...maybe a little one-on-one... a little interview or two.

First off... yours truly.
(Oh bollox - that means I have to show myself...)

I am one of the Creative Directors of the show. Here I am at one of the other events I like to work on which is Jewels for Christmas - some of you might be interested to know that my other life is as a jeweller.
You might ask why a jeweller (someone who works in the minute end of the scale) works in theater and performance. I believe that the large scale of performance adds a balance to my work. Also, when I make jewellery, I am telling a story, I am creating something beautiful that leaves an echo for the viewer. Performing is much the same, in that it can tell a story, leave an echo. The wonderful thing about performance is the fragility of it - the impermanence. I think I like that contrast in my creative life!
My role in the creation of Monster Burlesque is to work on costuming and the visual details of the show. To put the pictures in my head, on the stage.


My partner in crime, my other half, is Maria Dabrowska.
 The mastermind behind many unique dance works - such as Carnival Hound, the haunting dance work Maria performed and choreographed in 2009. Pictured here for her poster and publicity images for Carnival Hound. Maria works nationally and internationally, she is  a dancer, choreographer and dance trainer. She is my devil on my shoulder, and trust me... when we work together some pretty wacky things come out!
Maria ( "Wellington's own uber kinetic movement inventionist") and I first worked together in the Gallery of Oddities, a mini-faux-freak show in a truck. It was so much fun that we just had  to work together again, and I am super stoked that Maria's quirky energy is part of the monster machine.


Our fairy god-mistress is Mary Laine, our producer. Mary is our ring mistress, the sprinkler of fairy dust to make things magically happen, and then the cracker of whips to make sure WE make things happen on our end!
Not only is Mary a superb organiser, leader and motivator, she is also a very talented maker, and yes Mary.... we'll be getting you to work with a paint brush as well as your calculator once we start painting that set!
Mary and I have exhibited together, in Monsters (an exhibition at My Galaxi Gallery) and in Twisted Dolls (at Roar Gallery). You might be able to see a slight theme here folks... have you noticed the the first three members of our team are all slightly obsessed with .... monsters?

No comments:

Post a Comment